1965 50th Reunion: 2015

Alison Bunting (Chapman)

I completed an Arts Degree and a Dip Ed at Melbourne Uni before teaching in a boys’ tech in the northern suburbs for a year. This was pretty much the end of any ‘career’ in teaching as I moved to Sydney so that my husband could do post grad study at UNSW. (Andrew would have been with some of you in Year 7 at CHS).

While in Sydney I taught English & History at two different girls’ high schools (all gov’t schools in Sydney were single sex schools back then) and picked up some experience in a school library. It was this experience which helped me to get a job in London when we moved there (via Siberia) in 1975. In London I taught English and was also in charge of a junior comprehensive school library before leaving work to have my first child in 1977.

After returning to Melbourne in 1978, and the birth of two more children in 1979 and 1982, I returned to study at Deakin University (then Vic College in Toorak) and completed an ESL teaching diploma. This enabled me to work part-time in a variety of ESL settings mostly in the community sector, in an industrial setting and also a stint at the language centre at RMIT. I became tired of the insecure contracts offered there (five weeks at a time) for teachers who were expected to have five years’ tertiary qualifications!! So I spent two years studying theology at a Catholic seminary in Box Hill which is now part of the Melbourne Uni of Divinity.

As a ‘supposed retiree’ I still spend one day a week in a volunteer capacity tutoring in ESL at a neighbourhood house in Clayton. Life is crazily busy at this ‘retirement’ stage of life between small grandchildren/travel/book groups/learning iconography, and activities in the Anglican Church. In retirement I’ve become the spouse of an Anglican Priest (same bloke who attended CHS in Year 7) and whose supposed retirement took a different twist and who is now working part-time on the Mornington Peninsula.



Chris Burford

 After leaving CHS I did Pharmacy along with Peter Tantau who was the Best Man at my wedding in 1970. I have now been married to Claire (nee Jensen of Whyalla, S.A.) for 45 years and have 4 beautiful children and 6 lovely grandchildren. This is an amazing feat on Claire’s part for having put up with me for so long.

While Peter went into retail, I opted for the pharmaceutical Industry, working for DHA, Glaxo, Fawns and McAllan and Sigma Pharmaceuticals. Remember any of them? Now mostly swallowed up by bigger companies. Roles included Formulation Chemist, Production Supervisor, Sterile Processing Department Head and Q.A. Manager. It was there that I discovered computers and became a programmer.

In 1988 I came to the U.K for a working holiday and somehow, never got around to going back home. I worked in London for KPMG in the IT department, for Colliers Erdman Lewis, a property management company, a software house in Surrey and as a freelancer in Yorkshire.

In 2011 I retired to the West Country looking forward to an easy country lifestyle; you know, stroll around the village green with the dog, coffee in the cafe, a quiet ale in the local, that kind of thing; what I originally intended to do 27 years ago when I came to the UK and found you couldn’t with four kids in school and a mortgage to feed. Instead I have never been busier: redecorating an old house, driving all over the country visiting grandchildren and occasionally sightseeing.

For all the boring details you can look me up online among the millions of other Chris Buford’s listed on the Internet. You can find me at:


Bill Clarke

Following Camberwell High School, I graduated from Swinburne as an accountant, however after 3 years I decided bean-counting was not for me and manipulating bits and bytes promised to be more exciting and interesting. It was a great decision as I have had a fascinating and rewarding career in information management and technology.

I commenced as a Programmer-in-Training with the Commonwealth Public Service and completed a Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology at Caulfield. I commenced work as a programmer, then project manager before moving into IT management. Then as either IT or IM manager I was the State IT Manager with the Department of Works, the Australia Post State IT Manager and then the CIO for the Victorian Rural Water Commission.

I then joined Hewlett Packard (HP) as the Australian Professional Services Manager to set up and manage consulting services for HP in Australia and NZ. I worked for HP for 15 years and had amazing and interesting experiences providing services to Australian and global corporations. During this time I had numerous trips to Europe, Asia and the USA which included a 3 year posting in Silicon Valley it was an unbelievable period working on HP’s world-wide development of their consulting business and exploring the USA and parts of Europe.

On my return from the USA I worked in the Asia region before leaving HP and joining the Victorian Premier’s Department as Chief Information Manager. This provided an extensive and interesting insight into the Department’s management and security of information and the workings of Victorian State Government.

I retired in 2011 and have spent the last 5 years looking after grandchildren, developing our property at Anglesea and travelling mainly to the UK and Europe exploring and discovering places we have read about and visiting our grandchildren in London and Oxford.

Olivia Penfold and I were married in 1969. We have had 46 years of wonderful marriage sharing many varied experiences, growing together and parenting 3 children – Katy, David and Ross. They have all been very successful in their chosen fields and have provided us with 7 fantastic grandchildren. Katy is based in London and has twins, a boy and girl, Ross is currently in Oxford has 2 boys and David is in Melbourne with 3 boys. Our grandchildren range from 2 months to 7 years, they are all great fun and keep us very busy. Visiting our grandchildren in the UK has been a terrific reason to travel and provided opportunities to take side trips to Spain, Italy, France, Netherlands, Belgium and Ireland and there is more to come with Tanzania currently on our list for 2016.



Colin Patching

During my latter years at school and before I could legally drive, I was taking flying lessons at Moorabbin along with glider flying at Berwick. This may have been detrimental to my studies but was far more enjoyable and interesting. On leaving school I joined the RAAF as a pilot and I spent the next 35 years having what could be described as one of the best jobs in the world. Where else could you enjoy flying aircraft that well exceeded twice the speed of sound while training for a career and role in the defence of your country?

I spent most of the time as a Fighter Pilot, Strike Pilot and Flying Instructor. Aircraft that I flew operationally include the Winjeel, Vampire, Macchi, Sabre, Mirage, Canberra and F-111. Flying was interspersed with ongoing training and courses including Aerospace at Cranfield University in the UK. Having Commanded a Forward Air Control flying unit and then later the RAAF’s fighter training squadron, I was chosen to represent our defence force as the first Air-Attaché in the Australian High Commission in Singapore. This was followed a few years later as the first Defence Congressional Liaison Officer in our Embassy in Washington. Following that appointment until retirement in 2001, I was the Director of Flying Safety for the Army, Navy and Air Force.

The position in Washington was very interesting as it entailed daily attendance at hearings with US Congressmen and Senators. These included, but were not limited to, household names such as; John Glenn (First American to orbit earth); John Warner (one of Liz Taylors husbands); Sonny Bono (Sonny & Cher); John McCain (Democratic leader and Presidential Candidate)etc. etc. Also in the US I met many other notables including Former President Carter, Henry Kissinger, Adrian Cronauer of ‘Good Morning, Vietnam’ fame and Greg Norman who unfortunately didn’t do anything to improve my golf handicap!

Unforgettable life experiences have included feeling the rocket motors pounding on my chest as I watched a Space Shuttle launch from the closest observation point at Cape Canaveral and having attended 4 Olympic Games.

Diagnosed with bowel and liver cancer in 1998, I was given 3 months to live. An operation followed by 9 months of chemotherapy, that expectation of life expectancy has little consideration, other than ensuring that I make the most of everyday enjoying my family and life living at Hope Island on the Gold Coast.

My wife and I keep active by regularly riding our mountain bikes, golfing and travelling both within Australia and overseas. I have been married to Margaret for 45 years and we have 3 married sons. We are extremely proud of their achievements to date and we thoroughly enjoy the time we can spend with them and our 7 grandchildren.

If you are ever in the Gold Coast or nearby, please make contact and enjoy some Patching hospitality. Home: 07-5510-8418 Mob: 0418-582-666



George Toouli

I attended Camberwell High School from 1960 until August 1965 when my family moved to Sydney due to the ill health of my father. I matriculated in Sydney and then attended the University of New South Wales (UNSW) where I graduated with a Bachelor of Science (majors in Microbiology and Biochemistry).

I commenced employment at Liverpool Hospital Pathology Department (Microbiology) in December 1971 (2 days after my final exams) and retired from there 40 years later. When I first started there were two staff (myself and a trainee). When I left I was the Principal Scientist (Laboratory Manager) of Microbiology and responsible for a staff of eighty (including medical, scientific, technical, research and infection control staff). The laboratory was one of the few in NSW that had actually expanded and become an area service.

We performed all the microbiology for the entire south western area of Sydney (6 major hospitals and many other public and private establishments) now servicing over 2000 beds. Government intervention inadvertently changed my position from managing science, research and innovation to managing payroll, purchasing and human resources. Hence I chose “early retirement”.

I am married and blessed with two daughters (and one grandson). Family has been essential to my happiness and I managed to separate my work and family time extremely well (I actually managed to finish work by 4.30pm and be home before 5pm Monday to Friday and no weekends). Music still plays (no pun intended) an important part of my life with both my daughters having learnt to play instruments. My eldest daughter plays violin (much better than her dad ever did) and has played in a number of orchestras in Sydney and now teaches violin whilst my youngest daughter is an excellent school teacher.

Since I retired from my position at Liverpool Hospital, I have worked part-time in a number of areas. These include eight months in the Microbiology Department of The Canterbury Health Laboratories located in Christchurch New Zealand (and unfortunately I was there for the earthquake that devastated the city), I was a research assistant for a year with the Australian Institute of Health Innovation (UNSW) and also I did some consultancy work specialising in Clinical Microbiology and LEAN principles. I am currently teaching Microbiology at the University of Technology as well as UNSW and thoroughly enjoying myself.

My latest challenge is to spend as much time as I can with my grandson and to ensure that I spoil him as much as I can whilst mildly following strict instructions from my daughter not to do so. I look forward to renewing friendships and reliving some of my high school memories that have been dormant for 50 years.



Georgina Adamson

My life path since leaving CHS has been a little unconventional. After matriculating I went on to Monash University, and completed a BA, Dip Ed (thanks Gough) and was duly ‘sent’ to Timboon High School as a very novice teacher. I only stayed there 1 year and returned to Melbourne, married and produced my son Nicholas. All this happened a bit fast and unfortunately, the marriage didn’t last. I then became involved in an organisation called The Learning Exchange, based on an innovative concept from the States, and the precursor to adult education. From there I was instrumental in establishing the Malvern News Sheet, a community newspaper which was to continue for over 20 years.

I then worked for Community Child Care with Winsome McCaughey in the Brotherhood of St Laurence and was active in establishing Neighbourhood Children’s Centres across Victoria. (Another thanks to Gough).

In the mid-80’s I left Melbourne with my son and partner to travel around Australia, but got no further than Bermagui, a small fishing village on the idyllic and untouched far south coast of NSW where I remained for 35 years, building a home, having a daughter, Josephine, and becoming a part of that small community. It is here I began my adventure with food which set me on a new career path.

Driven by a need to generate an income, and with no experience, I launched into the hospitality industry, and established Le Marlin Café, followed by Le Wharf, both icons in this small fishing village. After 6 years of restaurant life I was taken into the employ of a wealthy patron who lived locally in her Italian style villa and was employed as a private cook. Here I indulged my passion for cooking, caring for people, travel, and food all over the world, particularly Italy. My repertoire was greatly expanded in the 13 years as ‘fattore’, catering for all manner of events and guests.

Driven by a desire for my ‘own place’, I established ‘Georgina’s Cucina’, a private dining room and cooking school on a coastal road overlooking Wapengo Lake, home of very fine oysters. I have always been a firm believer in using local produce, supported local growers and played a large part in this emerging food region.

Five years ago life took another turn and I decided to have a ‘city change’ and moved to Williamstown to be near my new twin grand-daughters. As well as my important new role as Nonna, I continued some aspects of Georgina’s Cucina. A little cooking here and there, mainly for community events, but more importantly, returning to my role as an educator to instil young and old with the joy of cooking and good food and to share my food experiences.

I have written and produced two small books. Marmalade, and other stories from Isola, about my time as a private cook and more recently, ‘Noisy Nonna in the Kitchen’, a true tale, inspired by the time I spend with my granddaughters in the kitchen. When not in the kitchen or being a Nonna, I indulge my love of playing music with friends.

www.georginascucina.com.au    geo@georginascucina.com.au


Harvey Broadstock

Completed BA DipEd and started work with Department of Labour in Melbourne in a Gas and Fuel tower near Flinders St station now Federation Square. A vacancy came up in the Hobart office and nobody in the Melbourne office wanted to relocate. Hobart is my hometown (I still pine for Hobart even today) so transferring was a perfect next step.

I worked in Hobart in Vocational Guidance and then also HR with a paper mill in New Norfolk. Finally then did what I really wanted to do and travelled, including a term teaching in London.

Returned to Hobart to work as a guidance officer and then teacher of various unrelated subjects at Taroona High School (before the Princess arrived at the school). I decided that travelling was still what I wanted so I changed careers to English Teacher and taught in Japan for 5 years and Finland for 1 year.

Returning to Melbourne I have worked in ELICOS and International Education for the last 20 years.  Recently downsized and living in leafy Mitcham. harvey.broadstock@vu.edu.au


Jenny Ginsberg (Thomsen)

 After Matric I went to Burwood Teachers’ College. I did the Trained Infant Teachers’ Certificate: three years when everyone else did two. It was a great qualification that taught a lot about teaching and learning – insights which I have used throughout my career.

Like many students, I met and married a fellow student, taught for three years and then had children. The marriage did not survive the birth of four children (including twins) in three years.

So there I was: thirty-two, with a seven year old, a five year old and four year old twins. This appeared to be the end of my life as I knew it, but something wonderful happened. I met the love of my life: late thirties, on his own with a five year old daughter, whom he had always looked after. The children are all now in their forties and we are doting grandparents, still amazed at our good fortune. Along the way we have cared for many other children: some for six months, a year or so; and another we fostered for more than five years.

After teaching in many different schools, I gained my B.Ed. I was at MLC for seventeen years, working with Primary, Junior Secondary and Gifted Students. During that time I was given an Award for the Promotion of International Education by the European Council of International Schools. I finished at MLC with three years at Marshmead Wilderness Campus with my husband. We were Co-Directors for a year.

Painting and drawing remains another great love and I have participated in solo and joint exhibitions, winning the Kenneth Jack Memorial Drawing Prize in 2010. Some of my work was the result of a Painting Trip to Spain in 2007.

Visiting my father’s homeland, Denmark, in 2008, was a memorable experience. I finally retired in 2012. We enjoy bushwalking and gardening and live in a mudbrick house on a rural property, just outside Melbourne, enjoying each other’s company and frequently seeing friends and family. I cram in patchwork, playing the piano, reading, supporting “Grandmothers Against Children in Detention”, Climate Change activism and occasional obligatory housework. I have never had time to be bored!



Olivia Clarke (Penfold)

 After leaving CHS inspired by Joe Rich and Bob Ewins, my Arts degree at the University of Melbourne focused on Indonesian and Malay studies and History. Recruited into the Defence Department on the basis of my understanding of Asian languages and issues, I found myself in a male-dominated, military organisation that was not a good fit for me.

Two years later, in 1971, I undertook teacher training and relished the opportunity to teach Indonesian language and History subjects in state and independent schools. With a particular interest in curriculum design and pedagogy, my last school-based role was Director of Curriculum at PLC in Melbourne. During this time I also contributed to the work of subject associations, teacher professional organisations and the development and implementation of the VCE.

The rapid development of computers for teaching and learning became somewhat of a passion which eventually became the subject of my PhD – a comparative study in schools in California and Victoria, completed in 2002. For seven years I was learning advisor to the multi-million dollar project of the state and federal governments which designed, produced and distributed high quality digital learning materials to schools throughout Australia. Consulting and provision of professional development in my areas of expertise punctuated and book-ended my working life as well.

In 1969 Bill Clarke and I married – one of several successful partnerships that began at school. We have three wonderful children and this year our seventh grandchild was born.

Now fully retired, we have the time to enjoy helping our scattered family as they raise their children balancing very diverse lives and careers of their own.

At the moment, grandchildren, keeping up with friends, overseas travel, nurturing our extensive native garden at Anglesea and family history research and writing seems to fully occupy my days.



Peter Gyton

After completing my Matriculation year in 1965, I joined the then Department of Civil Aviation after successfully winning a place on one of the Long Term Courses in Air Traffic Control.

On completion of the course and gaining my licence, I was posted to Kingsford Smith Airport in Sydney where I worked primarily as an Approach Controller and Flow Director until my retirement from ATC at the turn of the century. During these years I was also engaged in early traffic management procedures for the Sydney basin, re-modelling the airspace to coincide with the introduction of the new parallel runway as well as the replacement of the radar systems.

In mid-2000, I joined Ansett for a year to assist them with the Olympic build-up. Fortunately I retired again just before they collapsed. I joined the Coles Online shopping team a year later. I worked for them for 4 years on the warehousing and supply side before retiring again (but only for the weekend).

My last paid employment was with a small engineering firm that supplied and fitted internet based satellite tracking of long haul transports whether on the open road or around many of the remote mine sites in north western Australia. I continued in this role for a further 6 years before finally retiring in 2013.

I married and settled in Sydney in 1971 and, with my wife Lesley, had 4 children and now we are up to 4 grandchildren. The interests are still with aviation. Frequent get-togethers with current ATCs, visits to various air displays and associated restoration projects help fill in some of my “non-grand parenting” time. As with most of the baby boomers, travel is still a high point on the yearly calendar both locally and overseas. I’ve attached a couple of fairly recent photos to show how Lesley and I have weathered the years.



Richard Dixon


  • Left CHS mid 1965 as was lucky enough to obtain an Apprenticeship as a Cadet Deck Officer with the ANL (the Government Shipping Line).
  • During that time sailed on many ships, Bulk Carrier’s, Container Ship’s, General cargo vessels and even a Lighthouse service ship called ‘Cape Pillar’
  • I was called up (Conscription) but was able to ‘serve my time’ (spread over 7 Years) in the Seagoing Reserve of the RAN. During that time I also passed all my Merchant Navy Qualifications ending with a Master Class 1 (MC1).
  • After leaving ANL (1979) I worked for VB Perkins on landing craft running supplies to the remote Aboriginal settlements in Northern Australia then with John Burke Shipping running to the Gulf ports (Weipa, Groote Eylandt etc.) obtaining my first command as Captain of the m.v. John Burke.
  • Following this I worked on offshore anchor handing vessels, then on harbour tugs, where in 1985 I fell off a wharf and broke my back, was declared unfit for sea service and was out of the industry for 7 years. During this time I undertook a degree in Commercial computing and Information systems at USQ and afterwards got a position as a Computer Programmer with a Building Society and later at an Office supplies business before ‘missing’ the sea.
  • Was able to pass the AMSA medical so in 1993 it was back to ‘back to sea’
  • Starting in 2003 I worked for 3 years as a Torres Strait Marine Pilot guiding ships through the Great Barrier Reef till the helicopter taking me to a ship outside the reef crashed into the sea some 60 miles from shore. After floating in a very small partly submerged life raft the helicopter pilot and I were rescued some three hours later. I decided then to seek other employment
  • Went back working on rigs as a Marine Surveyor / Consultant. The pictures at the bottom are from my ‘Offshore Oil Industry time. If you remember a couple of years back a large Oil Rig was ‘parked’ in Port Phillip Bay and was loaded onto a Heavy Lift ship. That was one of the jobs I did as Supervising Marine Surveyor before a ‘downturn’ in the Industry so became semi-retired.


  • Married twice (not at the same time) – have two children, two grandchildren am happy with life and am fit and healthy. Love to travel, also sailed my own Sailing Catamaran through the Barrier reef and would like to do it again in the not too distant future.



Rosalind Kentwell

After Year 12 (only then it was sixth form) at Camberwell High I experimented unsuccessfully with several inappropriate careers – failed second year Architecture at Melbourne University, struggled to dance with Ballet Victoria, graduated from the Drama Centre at Flinders University and finally achieved a few qualifications in areas I had firmly rejected as a school student. I ended up as Curriculum Resources Coordinator at Melbourne High School (otherwise known as the Teacher-Librarian) where I worked for over twenty years. (Yes, I was a library monitor, thank you Mrs Flesch.)

HOWEVER – life really began at 55 when I retired.

First I moved to the United Kingdom and spent two and a half years living on a 37ft narrowboat. During the winter I worked in the marina where I had my permanent mooring and enjoyed taking part in village life. In the warmer months I cruised the canal system, travelling south to Oxford and London and north to Coventry, Birmingham and Chester as well as many other well-known and unknown towns and villages.

I returned home at the end of 2005 and since then I have published four novels and have a fifth on the way. I have taken up my violin again (thank you Miss Cameron for getting me started) and play with the Whitehorse Orchestra. I paint watercolours and icons and volunteer with the local library teaching people older (than me even!) to use computers. I do lots of singing too (yes I was in the madrigal group) – my church choir and a small women’s choir that performs for nursing home residents.

I also love to travel and have volunteered on six Earthwatch expeditions in various parts of the world.

I maintain the website for my church and also have one of my own – “Imaginary Adventures” http://rosalindkentwell.net/ – feel free to visit!



Yvonne Giltinan (McLaren)

Each year I speak to the year 12’s at Camberwell High School and tell them why, as President of our ex-students society, I love ‘giving back’ to the school that gave me so much.

At the end of term 1 in year 10 at Strathcona, I had only passed art and craft and the Principal told me and my parents that I would never pass Year 12. Moving to Camberwell High School, and having to go back into year 9 to ‘catch up,’ turned out to be momentous for my secondary and tertiary education. Miss Cameron found me and made me school pianist and the Montgomery house conductor in Year 11, I won a teaching studentship, started going out with Phil in year 10 and completed a Bachelor of Music/Dip Ed at Melbourne Uni.

I taught music at Box Hill Boys’ HS in 1969 then the Education Department changed their rules and allowed girls to get married even if they were on studentships! After 2 years at Collingwood HS we left for Papua New Guinea in 1973 for one year. That short term work for Phil turned into 30 years away for us. Port Moresby and Madang, (6 years in total), 1 year in Brisbane, 10 years in Alice Springs, Tennant Creek and Darwin, 10 years in Hobart, 1 year travelling the world recovering from Phil’s 80 hour weeks as a corporate, then New Zealand for a year and finally Dublin to install the tram system in 2002. I continued to teach music in nearly all of these cities and towns and my last role was at St Mary’s College in Hobart as Director of Music.

In 2003 we came back to Melbourne to be near my dad (he is about to turn 95). I retrained and graduated with my master’s degree in Career Development on my 60th birthday. There were a few tears on graduation day as I remembered those words spoken by the Principal at Strathcona. I’ve enjoyed 10 wonderful years in my 2nd career as a Careers Educator at Victoria University and become a specialist working with international students. It is very satisfying to know that I have helped countless students find jobs.

In 2004 I also started Yarra Gospel, a community choir in Hawthorn that has grown from 4 people to 70. The choir gives us a great deal of pleasure and we perform regularly.

With 2 sons and grandchildren in Hobart and Adelaide we have every reason to travel locally. When not on an annual trip overseas we love all that Melbourne offers- for us it’s now the world’s most liveable city!



This slideshow requires JavaScript.